Candle fire damages home

Just before 1:30 today, Thursday, Nov. 14, firefighters responded to a house fire at 33 Ventura Lane in north central Olathe.

It took firefighters only minutes to extinguish the fire. Investigators say a candle ignited a wing back chair, which quickly spread through a living room.

A woman and small children were home at the time of the fire, but safely escaped. No one was injured. Damage is estimated at $70,000.

Firefighters ask everyone to keep lit candles at least three feet away from anything that could burn. Firefighters also say to consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles.

%d bloggers like this: