Former strip mall tenant blames faulty electrical wiring for fire

From KCTV-5

A former Olathe building tenant says it was just a matter of time before the building that went up in flames Monday did so.

Black Bob Corner Shopping Center, the strip mall at East Santa Fe Street and South Black Bob Road, was home to four businesses. Former tenants of the salon space at it say the building’s condition could what started the fire.

“None of the electrical in our space was up to code, I can guarantee that,” said Nathan Myers. “There would be weeks during the winter, weeks during the summer where we wouldn’t have an air conditioner, we wouldn’t have a heater.” Continue reading

Fire cause might never be known


Investigators said they may never know what sparked Monday’s fire that destroyed a small strip mall and five businesses that were located there.

The fire gutted Fronteras Mexican Restaurant, a KFC location, a Sprint store, a hair salon and a massage spa just north of the intersection of 135th Street and Blackbob Road.

Fronteras employees noticed hazy smoke inside the restaurant’s office and called the fire department.

“The employees called us and we told them to call 911 and we told them to get out of the building,” said Alia De La Torre, the daughter of Fronteras’ owner. “When we got here, they were out of the building and everyone was OK.”

To hear and read the entire article, click here.

Four more test positive for TB at Northwest

Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) and Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) report that out of the approximately 70 additional individuals tested for tuberculosis (TB) at Olathe Northwest High School last week, only four (4) people have tested positive for the infection. Health officials have called those with positive TB infection test results and letters were mailed to the homes of those with negative test results (no infection).

People with TB infection are not contagious, do not feel sick, and do not have TB symptoms. People with TB disease can spread the bacteria to others, feel sick and can have symptoms including fever, night sweats, cough and weight loss.  Continue reading

%d bloggers like this: