Olathe Farmers’ Market opens Saturday, April 23
Enjoy fresh produce, flowers, herbs, eggs, and more, at two Olathe Farmers’ Market locations beginning Saturday, April 23.
- The Black Bob Market is located at 14500 W. 151st St. in the east side parking lot near Field 1.
- The Olathe Community Center Market is located at 1205 E. Kansas City Rd. in the west parking lot.
The Saturday market will open on Saturday, April 23 at 7:30 a.m., operating every Saturday until produce is sold.
The Wednesday market will open on Wednesday, May 18 at 7:30 a.m., operating every Wednesday until produce is sold.
Visit Farmers’ Market for additional information.
Outdoor pool pass early bird discount ends Saturday, April 30
Don’t miss your opportunity to save on 2016 outdoor pool passes. The early bird discount ends Saturday, April 30. Pool passes are now exclusively available for purchase at the Olathe Community Center, 1205 E. Kansas City Rd. Save $5 on individual passes and $10 on family passes, and be ready for the pool season to kick-off on Monday, May 30. 2016. Season pool passes include admission for Me & Mini Me Swim at Black Bob Bay. Visit OlatheKS.org/ParksRec or call 913-971-8563 for additional information.
Olathe Miracle League seeking volunteers
The Olathe Miracle League is accepting volunteer applications for the 2016 spring season, which begins Saturday, April 2. Miracle League volunteers, called buddies, help provide kids of all abilities the opportunity to play baseball in a safe and fun environment. Register to become a buddy.
Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm begins spring season
Spring is a busy time on the farm, signaling the return of 1860s living history activities each weekend. The historic Mahaffie house will be open Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 4 p.m. Enjoy activities such as:
- Preparing spring crops
- Tasting treats from Mrs. Mahaffie’s stove
- Taking a stagecoach ride
Admission is $7/adults, $5/children ages 5-11; Olathe residents receive $2 off admission. The Heritage Center is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Visitors can also explore the Mahaffie grounds. All activities are weather and grounds permitting.
2016 Curtis Gilmore Memorial Scholarship
The Friends of the Olathe Public Library Board is accepting applications for the $500 Curtis Gilmore
Memorial Scholarship. The scholarship is open to all graduating seniors who have completed 100 volunteer hours for the Olathe Public Library by Thursday, March 31, 2016. Volunteer hours are calculated from the summer prior to entering 9th grade through 12th grade. Visit OlatheLibrary.org/Friends for complete scholarship criteria and application information.
Applications are due by 5 p.m. on Thursday, April 21, 2016, by mail or delivery to Rita J. Patterson, community relations coordinator, Olathe Public Library, 201 E. Park, Olathe, KS 66061.
The scholarship honors Curtis Gilmore, a youth library volunteer who worked from 2003 to 2005 and passed in 2007. Curtis was a senior at Olathe North High School and due to graduate that spring.
The scholarship is funded, in part, by proceeds from the “Memories of Childhood” Novel
Tea, a sold-out event, to be held April 9 at the Indian Creek Community Church.
Olathe Public Libraries programming
Due to the temporary closure of Indian Creek Library, 12990 S. Black Bob Rd., many programs have been cancelled, moved to the Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St., or other locations. Please visit the events calendar for an updated list. Questions can be directed to 913-971-6874 for children’s programming or 913-971-6888 for adult and teen programming.
- Cut the Clutter on Tuesday, March 29 from 1:30 to 3:00 p.m. at the Kansas State Extension Office, 11811 S. Sunset Dr., Ste. 1500, room 1060. Learn how to develop strategies for your household to manage, reduce, and eliminate clutter. Register by calling 913-971-6888 or visit the events calendar.
- Junior Makers on Wednesday, March 30 from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. Open to students in first through fifth grades. This month’s theme is “kites.” Register by calling 913-971-6874 or visit the events calendar.
- Preschool Dance Party on Friday, April 1, at 9:30 a.m. at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. Kids ages five and younger, accompanied by an adult, can dance to favorite songs from the library’s children’s music collection. Registration is not required, but space is limited. Tickets will be handed out 30 minutes before the program.
- LEGO® Design Contest on Saturday, April 2, at 11 a.m. at the Indian Creek Community Church, 12480 S. Black Bob Rd. Students from all grade levels can create something out of LEGO® bricks and enter the contest. Drop off entries from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Public viewing and voting will take place from 2:30 to 3:45 p.m. Awards will be held at 4 p.m. Additional information can be found on the Olathe Public Library website. Register by calling 913-971-6874 or visit the events calendar.
- Family Chess Night on Monday, April 4, from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. Boards and equipment are provided. All ages are welcome; kindergartners and younger must be accompanied by an adult.
- Computer Help Lab on Tuesday, April 5, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. Get help with Microsoft software (Word, Excel, etc.), internet browsers, email, or downloadable content from the library such as eBooks and eMagazines. Registration is not required.
- Homeschool Program: LEGO® Club on Tuesday, April 5, from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m., at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park. For homeschoolers ages 5 – 11. Register by calling 913-971-6874 or visit the events calendar beginning Monday, March 31.
- Tuesday Tunes with Betse Ellis on Tuesday, April 5, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. Registration is not required.
- Financial Crimes Prevention on Wednesday, April 6, from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St., presented by Tom Gottschalk, financial crime investigator from the District Attorney’s Office. Register by calling 913-971-6888 or visit the events calendar.
- Social Media: Making the Connection to Generation Next on Friday, April 8, from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the K-State Extension Office, 11811 S. Sunset Dr., Ste.1500, room 1060. Register by calling 913-971-6888 or visit the events calendar.