Garmin Marathon Runs through Olathe on Saturday, April 16
The 13th Annual Garmin Marathon will take place on Saturday, April 16. The race starts at the new Embassy Suites Hotel and Olathe Conference Center at 6:45 a.m. To allow runners to safely pass, there will be intermittent intersection, walking trail, and road closures through the city from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Route information can be found at http://ozrun.org.
The Olathe Chamber of Commerce and Garmin Marathon organizers thank residents and businesses of Olathe for their cooperation with this great community event and for making our local and out-of-town guests feel welcome. Garmin Marathon questions can be directed to the Olathe Chamber of Commerce at email@example.com.
Tower 2 Tower 5K Saturday, April 30
Celebrate National Drinking Water Week by participating in the inaugural Tower 2 Tower 5K on Saturday, April 30. The 5K starts at 8 a.m. A free kids run begins at 8:55 a.m.
The unique race route is a loop along Renner Blvd from WaterOne’s water tower to the City of Olathe’s north water tower. Parking is available at WaterOne (10747 Renner Blvd, Lenexa) and nearby businesses and can be accessed from College Blvd and Eicher Dr.
Each participant receives a free t-shirt, water bottle, and medal. Interactive water booths and demonstrations make this a fun and educational event for the entire family.
Register at Tower2Tower5K.org. Proceeds benefit Water for People, a non-profit organization that works to bring clean and safe drinking water to countries that need it most.
Free Summer Concert Series returns in June
The City of Olathe is proud to present the 2016 Free Summer Concert Series starting Friday, June 3, featuring fan favorite Marc Broussard. The 17th season brings award-winning sound to Frontier Park on June 3, June 17, and July 15. The 2016 season is highlighted by Summer Fest, a day of music and fun for the family on Saturday, July 9, at Stagecoach Park.
Learn more about the shows and artists and mark your calendars for another memorable season. The concert series is presented by Olathe Communities that Care and Olathe Parks & Recreation. To become a summer concert series sponsor, please contact Nichole Asquith, 913-971-8563.
Olathe Farmers’ Market opens Saturday, April 23
Enjoy fresh produce, flowers, herbs, eggs, and more, at two Olathe Farmers’ Market locations beginning Saturday, April 23.
- The Black Bob Market is located at 14500 W. 151st St. in the east side parking lot near Field 1.
- The Olathe Community Center Market is located at 1205 E. Kansas City Rd. in the west parking lot.
The Saturday market will open on Saturday, April 23 at 7:30 a.m., operating every Saturday until produce is sold. The Wednesday market will open on Wednesday, May 18 at 7:30 a.m., operating every Wednesday until produce is sold.
Visit Farmers’ Market for additional information.
Olathe Charities 5K seeks charities of choice
The second annual Olathe Charities 5K will take place on Saturday, Oct. 22, on trails around the College Boulevard Activity Center. This unique run benefits participating charities who register to become a charity of choice. Selected organizations receive $15 per runner, or $20 per four-person team who designate that charity at registration. Interested local charities can learn more or submit the Local Organization Interest form to be considered a charity of choice for 2016. Participating charities of choice will be assigned team colors once they register 10 runners on their behalf.
Runner registration is available for both individual runners and teams of four. Early registrants will have the opportunity to select their charity via email once organizations are added to the system.
Planning for a Lifetime with Autism
Parents, caregivers, employers, and others are invited to a free workshop to assist those with Autism. Learn from experts during panel discussions including.
- Navigating the System
- Discovering Employment Opportunities
The event will be held on Friday, April 22, from 7:30 a.m. to noon at KidsTLC – Kelly Wellness Center, 620 S. Rogers Rd in Olathe. Continental breakfast will be served.
The event is sponsored by Autism Society of the Heartland, Olathe Public Library, KidsTLC, Olathe Public Schools USD 233 and the Kansas Center for Autism Research & Training. Please register by Friday, April 15. For details and registration, go to olathelibrary.org/kids/autism.
Olathe Public Libraries programming
Due to the temporary closure of Indian Creek Library, 12990 S. Black Bob Rd., many programs have been cancelled, moved to the Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St., or other locations. Please visit the events calendar for an updated list. Questions can be directed to 913-971-6874 for children’s programming or 913-971-6888 for adult and teen programming.
- Health Information & Referral Clinic on Tuesday, April 12, from 10 a.m. to noon at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. Drop-in for blood pressure checks from Olathe Fire Department firefighter/paramedics and navigate consumer health information with a librarian. Registration is not required.
- Olathe Chamber of Commerce Coffee on Thursday, April 14, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. The library will be open to the public, however, the facility and parking lot may be congested during this time. Extra parking will be available in the Chestnut Street parking garage. Drive-up book drops will be available. Some public computers will be unavailable during this time.
- Family History Friday on Friday, April 15, from 9 a.m. to noon at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. Search for your ancestors with the help of reference books, Kansas Room materials and the library’s databases (including Ancestry.com). Beginner to advanced levels are welcome. Librarians and volunteers will be available to help. Registration is not required.
- Teen Minecraft and other building games on Friday, April 15, from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. for youth in grades 6-12. Registration is not required.
- Poetry Picnic on Saturday, April 16, from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. Celebrate National Poetry Month with a drop-in poetic picnic featuring activities like building block poetry and creating found poems.
- Job Help with the Workforce Partnership Mobile Unit on Monday, April 18, from 9 a.m. to noon in the Olathe Downtown Library parking lot, 201 E. Park St. Receive professional expertise in resume writing, improving interviewing skills, and other job-related services at the self-contained mobile unit equipped with computers and Wi-Fi. No appointment is needed.
- Aging and Senior Services on Tuesday, April 19, from 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. Learn about legal assistance, in-home services, Medicare counseling, caregiver support, and other services available to Johnson County seniors. Presented by the Johnson County Area Agency on Aging. Register by calling 913-971-6888 or visit the events calendar.
- A Musical Evening with Shapiro Brothers on Tuesday, April 19, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:25 p.m. at the Olathe Downtown Library, 201 E. Park St. This dynamic Americana duo based in Kansas City deliver classic country and folk music alongside critically acclaimed originals. Registration is not required.
- American Red Cross Blood Drive on Friday, April 22, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Family Video, 12708 S. Black Bob Rd. Due to the temporary closing of Indian Creek Library, the blood drive has been moved to the Family Video parking lot. Make your appointment at redcrossblood.org or walk-in.