From the Olathe Fire Department:
Heating is the second leading cause of “residential building fires” in the US, according to the United States Fire Administration. As cold air blankets the metro, be sure to watch what you heat with these tips:
· Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, wood stoves and space heaters.
· Have heating equipment – such as furnaces, fireplaces and wood stoves – regularly inspected by a qualified professional.
· Turn space heaters off and unplug them before leaving the room or sleeping.
· Check your home’s smoke alarms by simply pressing the test button.
See these tips in this video from 2010: https://goo.gl/vSwIZJ.