Early morning fire damages Olathe home

Firefighters responded to a house fire around 2:30 a.m. near 133rd Street and Mur-Len Road. When firefighters arrived smoke was coming from the rear of the home. In the coldest temperatures of the year, firefighters quickly attacked and extinguished the fire. The family of two safely escaped the fire before firefighters arrived.

An investigator is working to determine the cause of the blaze, which appeared to have started near the fireplace. Damage is estimated at $50,000. No injuries were reported.

As frigid air blankets the metro, firefighters remind everyone to:

•          Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, wood stoves and space heaters.

•          Have heating equipment – such as furnaces, fireplaces and wood stoves – regularly inspected by a qualified professional.

•          Turn space heaters off and unplug them before leaving the room or sleeping.

•          Check your home’s smoke alarms by simply pressing the test button.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: