Early morning fire damages Olathe home

Firefighters responded to a house fire around 2:30 a.m. near 133rd Street and Mur-Len Road. When firefighters arrived smoke was coming from the rear of the home. In the coldest temperatures of the year, firefighters quickly attacked and extinguished the fire. The family of two safely escaped the fire before firefighters arrived.

An investigator is working to determine the cause of the blaze, which appeared to have started near the fireplace. Damage is estimated at $50,000. No injuries were reported. Continue reading

Fire damages Olathe home

Just before 6 p.m., firefighters responded to a house fire in west Olathe. A 911 caller reported the blaze and said the back of the house was on fire. When firefighters arrived, they saw flames and smoke coming from the back of the home.

It took firefighters about 20 minutes to control the fire, which caused significant damage to the home. Everyone was out of the home when firefighters arrived and no one was hurt. An investigator is working to determine the cause of the fire.

Firefighters say every fire serves as a great reminder to check your home’s smoke alarms by simply pressing the test button.

Unattended cooking causes $40,000 fire damage

Unattended cooking is cited for causing a house fire in north Olathe Monday, Nov. 9.

The occupant called 911 around noon and reported the blaze. When firefighters arrived they saw smoke and flames coming from the home. It took firefighters about 20 minutes to control the fire. Investigators say no injuries were reported and damage is estimated at $40,000. The family’s orange, female, Tabby (cat) was safely rescued from the fire.

Firefighters remind everyone to cook with care, by remaining in the kitchen while cooking. In the event that a fire in a pan does occur, remember to put a lid on the pan, and turn the burner off to quickly and safely put the fire out.

Candle fire damages home

Just before 1:30 today, Thursday, Nov. 14, firefighters responded to a house fire at 33 Ventura Lane in north central Olathe.

It took firefighters only minutes to extinguish the fire. Investigators say a candle ignited a wing back chair, which quickly spread through a living room.

A woman and small children were home at the time of the fire, but safely escaped. No one was injured. Damage is estimated at $70,000.

Firefighters ask everyone to keep lit candles at least three feet away from anything that could burn. Firefighters also say to consider using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles.

Olathe brush fire might have been intentionally set

A fire in Olathe burned nearly 10 acres of land at 119th Street and Ridgeview Road Wednesday afternoon, July 17.

Olathe firefighters were called to the scene around 4:45 p.m. and fire crews from Lenexa helped battle the blaze.

According to Olathe Fire Department Captain Mike Hall, the fire appears to have been intentionally set.

“Firefighters also protected homes just to the east of the fire, which burned about 10 acres,” Hall said. “Fire crews from Olathe and Lenexa used “brush trucks” to fight the fire while firefighters from Johnson County Fire District 1 used a specialized wildland fire truck.”

No one was harmed in the fire.

Hall said city crews the grass next to the burnt portion of the land to help prevent a future fire in the area

Early morning fire damages Olathe business

Around 6 a.m., an employee at EPIC Landscape (15460 S. Keeler) was greeted by thick, black smoke when she opened one of the office’s exterior doors in south Olathe. Smoke filled the office area and attached warehouse from ceiling to floor.

It took firefighters about five minutes to put the fire out, which was contained to one room in the office.

The employee refused medical treatment.

Fire investigators are working to determine the cause of the fire. A damage estimate will be available later.

%d bloggers like this: